Groundhog Day Official:
- We're closing the road. Big blizzard movin in.
- What blizzard? It's a couple of flakes.
- Don't you listen to the weather? We got a major storm here!
- I make the weather! All this moisture coming up out of the Gulf will push off to the east and Mt. Altoona.
- Pal, you got that moisture on your head. You can go back to Punxsutawney or you can freeze to death. It's your choice. What's it gonna be?
- ... I'm thinkin...
Groundhog Day (2 Feb.) marks the midway point between the winter solstice (21 Dec.) and the vernal equinox (21 June).
The commemoration of this day began in 1887 in Punxsutawney, PA with a lowly groundhog as beacon for winter days ahead. Sun and shadow = winter grips for 6 more weeks; no shadow = spring is imminent.
Hope springs eternal!